Irreversible Dementia and The Bicameral Mind

Discussion of Julian Jaynes's second hypothesis - that before the development of consciousness, humans operated under a previous mentality called the bicameral mind.
michaelverde

Irreversible Dementia and The Bicameral Mind

Post by michaelverde »

I am wondering if anyone knows of any research exploring the possibility that people diagnosed with probable Alzheimer's disease and related forms of dementia are reverting to something to, or akin to, a bicameral mind?
Site Admin

Re: Irreversible Dementia and The Bicameral Mind

Post by Moderator »

I don't believe the two are related. However, auditory hallucinations have been documented in the elderly and in patients with Alzheimer's disease. This may be related to an overall cognitive decline resulting in decreased inhibition of the right temporal lobe language areas.
michaelverde

Re: Irreversible Dementia and The Bicameral Mind

Post by michaelverde »

I wonder then if the auditory hallucinations that have been documented in the elderly and in patients with Alzheimer's disease--owing, presumably to decreased inhibition of the right temporal lobe language areas--are meaningless ejaculations, or if the hallucinations may be existentially insightful? Are you aware of anyone engaged with reserach along these, or like lines?

Michael

Return to “2.0. Hypothesis Two: The Bicameral Mind”