Julian Jaynes Society Forum

Julian Jaynes Society Discussion Forum: Exploring Consciousness and the Bicameral Mind Theory since 1997

** PLEASE NOTE: Due to spam, registration is now BY REQUEST ONLY. To register (free), please e-mail info "at" julianjaynes "dot" org with your desired username; you will receive a login and temporary password. ** julianjaynes.org        
It is currently Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:35 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Sequel...? [Consequences of Consciousness]
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:23 pm 

In the preface of the book The Origin Of Consciousness In The Breakdown Of The Bicameral Mind, it says this:

"Originally, I had planned Books IV and V to complete the central positions of the theory. These will now become a separate volume, whose working title is The Consequences of Consciousness, not yet scheduled for publication
-PRINCETON UNIVERSITY, 1982"

Since this was written in 1982, I assume this has been written in one form or another, but I can't seem to find it anywhere. Does anyone know the title of this that has Books IV and V and where I can find it?

Thank you. :mrgreen:

Post subject: Jaynes' unpublished works disappeared?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:12 pm 

Kaminsky says Jaynes' unpublished works disappeared... and points me to your society where you oblige the mysterious details but have no solutions. Any updates on that? And where on the site can I find the details of the disapppearance? thanks. (I'm 55 and first read Jaynes when I was 30... AFTER getting out of the university system... having found jaynes in a used bookstore near U of Toronto beside my favorite restaurant at the time. Seem we have to LEAVE university to learn anything valuable. )

Post subject: Re: The Sequel...? [Consequences of Consciousness]
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:08 pm 
Site Admin

Jaynes's second book, The Consequences of Consciousness, was never completed and never published.

This has been written up in the newsletter, Volume 2 Issue 1:

http://www.julianjaynes.org/newsletter.php

Some of Jaynes's ideas for The Consequences of Consciousness can be found in The Julian Jaynes Collection.