Julian Jaynes Society Forum

Julian Jaynes Society Discussion Forum: Exploring Consciousness and the Bicameral Mind Theory since 1997

** PLEASE NOTE: Due to spam, registration is now BY REQUEST ONLY. To register (free), please e-mail info "at" julianjaynes "dot" org with your desired username; you will receive a login and temporary password. ** julianjaynes.org        
It is currently Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:43 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Jaynes - Which Languages Did He Speak/Understand?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:33 am 

I am just finishing reading the Origin. I am wondering which of the many sources that Jaynes quotes were studied by him, which in the orginal text? was he capable of translating cuniform? Aramaic? Heiroglyphs, Ancient Greek etc? or did he approach these texts through translations? Were his sources primary, secondary or tertiary?

Post subject: Re: Jaynes - Which Languages Did He Speak/Understand?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:06 pm 
Site Admin

My guess would be no on most of these just in terms of the amount of time that would have been involved, and his references to the need for additional more accurate translations (translations that do not attempt to "modernize" the texts or read in a modern psychology to make them more "readable").

We probably won't ever know the exact answer, but I will inquire with those that knew him well during the time period.

I have heard previously that he had learned or was learning ancient Greek.