[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Julian Jaynes Society Discussion Forum: Exploring Consciousness and the Bicameral Mind Theory since 1997 • View topic - Realignment of Priorities

Realignment of Priorities

Discussion of auditory hallucinations in the normal population.

Realignment of Priorities

Postby General Zard » Wed Mar 02, 2005 11:18 pm

Since, I appear to be the first to post here, I shall say a few words as an introduction. I am a peon. I talk in peon English. I'll not be able to converse in Heavy Academic English. I am well read; but, nevertheless, a peon.

In my pursuit of, what I call Spiritual/Emotional Growth, I have accumulated a large number of ideas, which I attempt to apply to my daily life. I combine the ideas in The Origin of Consciousness with Carl Jung's idea of 'the mental realignment of my priorities'. Accomplished by an 'autonomous noodle complex' or 'summarizer' (?).

I have had one personal experience with a 'voice' in my head, with 'pictures', and that was my last drink of alcohol for the past 15 years. Certainly, in the area of alcohol, my life changed instantly. I have been attempting to repeat this 'phenomena'; but alas, I have not even come close.

I don't care if it was self-hypnosis, a 'divine' encounter, the 'devil', the Bicameral Mind, the Bicameral 'God', a 'Summarizer', or an autonomous noodle complex. I have desperately tried to make contact with 'IT', one more time. I have tried to re-enact my emotional despair on that night, the utter defeat in my attempt to get free from alcohol, with no 'one or no 'thing' to turn to for help, isolated, abandoned, 'forsaken', "hopeless and helpless", ignored by the 'gods?', facing the realization that I would eventually die drunk.

After reading The Origin of Consciousness, I searched diligently, trying to find an author or 'group' that would be able to 'take it further'. Maybe, combine it with Carl Jung's teachings. Maybe, provide a format for 'practical application' in the daily life. Alas. I despair. Am I the only one searching?

I'll bathe in the River Jordan, dance around a Pentagram, chant endlessly, sit cross legged, whatever, anything to get results. I am reminded of the author, Hugo Enomiya-Lassalle, "Living in the New Consciousness", "Many will sit cross legged for many years, and achieve very little."

Air'ish, philosophical ideas are an interesting study. Practical application, enrichment of daily life, that is where it is 'at'. But, where is 'IT' ?

(To the Moderator: You may delete, move, edit, or whatever you consider appropriate.)

General Zard
No Proof, No Worship.
My Soul is not immortal,
Has never been lost,
Can not be saved,
And will disintegrate
When this Mind/Body complex disintegrates.
General Zard

Reordering priorities

Postby igdonp » Wed Jul 27, 2005 10:50 am

I enjoyed your post. Your honesty is refreshing. When all is said and done, we are all more alike than we care to admit.
If we all could only understand and articulate ourselves better and more truthfully, we would be able to understand a great deal more about the phenomenon of consiousness.
igdonp

Postby Obdurately Conscious » Thu Oct 12, 2006 4:14 am

If you look around the table and can't tell who the sucker is, it is most probably you.
Obdurately Conscious

Postby SmooveB » Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:53 pm

SmooveB

Postby Moderator » Fri Nov 10, 2006 4:23 pm

Site Admin

Postby SmooveB » Fri Nov 10, 2006 6:25 pm

Perhaps I should clarify what I meant by "gain from hallucinations," yet I stand by my use of "most." In using the term "gain" I wish to express that something new is experienced, most people of suitable conscious aptitude will question the meaning of the experience, and these people will ultimately gain some insight. This does not mean, however, that the benefits outweigh the cost, for that varies individually. For me, a schizoaffective, the insights I gained during times of active hallucinating where quite thrilling, though the constant onslaught of negative symptoms often overshadowed the experience.

I was aggressively treated by ambitions psychiatrists who almost convinced me that I wasn't perceiving things that were not, but that I was reacting to a chemical imbalance. I am grateful now to my natural distrust/paranoia regarding shrinks in general, because I almost explained my illness to a member of my family in the same errant manner. Sorry for my digression.
SmooveB

Re:

Postby Fisherman » Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:10 am

Fisherman

Re: Realignment of Priorities

Postby General Zard » Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:24 pm

I appreciate the response from each of you.
I am giving serious thought to each of your suggestions.
And thanks for the suggested links.
I don't have any thing to new to report,,,
More like treading water.
No Proof, No Worship.
My Soul is not immortal,
Has never been lost,
Can not be saved,
And will disintegrate
When this Mind/Body complex disintegrates.
General Zard

Re: Realignment of Priorities

Postby paulstpaul » Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:49 pm

Hello,

I have a question.
You say this inner voice spoke to you and your life suddenly changed.
But do you know why you obeyed this voice? What emotion did it provoke in you? Did you feel you had no choice but to obey it?

The study of habit-forming is interesting.
In the area of addictions/habits (getting rid of bad ones, forming new ones), often at times it is easy, other times difficult. If the trigger is strong enough then habit-forming will seem easy as it becomes an either/or situation, do/die etc.

Thanks

Paul
paulstpaul

Return to Auditory Hallucinations in Normal Adults