Narratization

Discussion of Julian Jaynes's first hypothesis - that consciousness (as he carefully defines it) is based on language, and related topics.
gcanessa

Narratization

Post by gcanessa »

Does anybody know about further elaborations on the concept or mechanisms of narratization?
Site Admin

Re: Narratization

Post by Moderator »

There has been a lot of work done on inner dialogue by Russell Hurlburt. You might take a look at his book Describing Inner Experience?: Proponent Meets Skeptic, for example.

Maybe you can elaborate on your question?
gcanessa

Post by gcanessa »

Well, this inquiry is in a very early stage.
Some questions are:
- What is there before/without narrratization? No time? No memory? No "I"?
- How is that narratization takes place? What conditions are necessary?
- Is that there is no narratization in (normal) dreams? So that we normally can't remember dreams, except when we narratize them at awakening?

I expect you can help me elaborate the inquiry.
Site Admin

Post by Moderator »

One area I think you might look for more ideas on this is child development, specifically a chapter called "The Development of Consciousnesses" by Philip Zelazo in The Cambridge Handbook of Consciousness.

Bill Rowe, who spoke at the recent Jaynes conference, is also finishing a book that contains a section on this subject.

I do remember reading somewhere that one of the reasons we have so few memories before the age of 5 is due to the lack of (or great reduced) narratization.

Return to “1.0. Hypothesis One: Consciousness Based On Language”