Julian Jaynes Society Forum

Julian Jaynes Society Discussion Forum: Exploring Consciousness and the Bicameral Mind Theory since 1997

** PLEASE NOTE: Due to spam, registration is now BY REQUEST ONLY. To register (free), please e-mail info "at" julianjaynes "dot" org with your desired username; you will receive a login and temporary password. ** julianjaynes.org        
It is currently Mon May 21, 2018 5:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: "Improvising Consciousness"
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:23 am 

hi, i'm new here. i'm working on an improvisational theatre piece called "improvising consciousness," which attempts, in part, to articulate a bicameral person and, by extension, to attempt to induce a bicameral state in a participating subject (as much as is possible, of course). some of the posts in this topic have been helpful (going to check out the battlestar galactica character, for sure). if anyone here has any further suggestions for dramatized expressions of the theory i'd really appreciate it (either actual sources, or just ideas for how this might be done effectively).

thanks!

neil

Post subject: Re: "Improvising Consciousness"
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:11 pm 

the theater is definitely the place to discover modern bicameral man

I am writing a 'human consciousness' piece that is about my 40 years in the biz running a followspot

I experienced some kind of difficulty with your PM service

my e-mail address is: deniseshrimperdude@gmail.com

I'd be glad to let you have a look at the 8 chapters I have completed

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:18 pm 
Site Admin

Neil, this sounds interesting. I'm curious to hear more of what you mean by "attempt to induce a bicameral state in a participating subject" — how you plan to go about this, etc.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:11 am 

Moderator wrote:
Neil, this sounds interesting. I'm curious to hear more of what you mean by "attempt to induce a bicameral state in a participating subject" — how you plan to go about this, etc.

i'm curious myself! still very much in the thinking stages of this but our small group is meeting for regular improvisations to explore how a contemporary person and a bicameral person *might* interact if they were to be put in the same circumstances. the idea would be for the contemporary/conscious person to try to "relate" or assimilate to the bicameral way of thinking in order to a) communicate; b) solve a certain problem; c) achieve a goal, etc etc. thoughts are most welcome! thanks everyone.

neil

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:37 am 

I think that there are several instances where the two types of thinkers confronted one another in Genesis/Exodus; the greatest of these may have been the struggle between Moses and Pharaoh!