[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Julian Jaynes Society Discussion Forum: Exploring Consciousness and the Bicameral Mind Theory since 1997 • View topic - Consciouness and the "RAM" of the Brain

Consciouness and the "RAM" of the Brain

Discussion of consciousness: what it is, what it isn't, Jaynes's ideas vs. other theorists, consciousness and language, studies of cognition in non-human species, etc.

Consciouness and the "RAM" of the Brain

Postby Star » Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:39 am

First off, I would just like to say hi. I am a new member and was surprised and pleased to find a forum discussing Julian Jaynes. Most of the time when I mention Julian Jaynes to people, they are most likely to go "huh?". I am strictly a lay person, but when I read Julian Jaynes a few years ago, I was struck by the cross-discipline approach and his eye for details that to most people remain unconnected. I also appreciated his novel approach on the ideas of consciousness, perception and learning.

I can't remember if Jaynes discusses this specifically, but I know of a person who seems to be not fully conscious; I have known this person all my life. It would appear that there may be a spectrum for consciousness with some individuals being more or less so.

I was recently flipping through TOOCITBOTBM and was struck by Jaynes' description of endurance and the apparent lack of fatigue in patients with schizophrenia. He indicates that one of the products of consciousness could be fatigue. Could it be that consciousness takes a lot of power or energy, much in the way that certain programs bog down the random access memory on our computers? As Jaynes notes, schizophrenics excel at simple sensory perception. I am not sure if the filters the rest of us have are caused by just being conscious or if the development of such filters allows us to be conscious. Again, maybe Jaynes does discuss this, but it has been a few years.

edit: grammar. It is not prudent of me to write before the coffee starts working.
Star

Re: Consciouness and the "RAM" of the Brain

Postby selfreplicate » Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:30 pm

In relation to your idea of 'consciousness requiring lots of energy', I was surprised to hear this during a lecture on the uniqueness of humans:

-Playing in a chess tournament can kill 3-4000 calories, just by using one’s brain.

Robert Sapolsky: The uniqueness of humans
http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/en/robert ... umans.html
selfreplicate

Postby Star » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:38 am

Thanks for posting this. I was not aware that sustained high-level mental activity could burn that many calories, but it makes sense.
Star

Postby Moderator » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:10 am

Site Admin

Postby Star » Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:12 pm

Star

Return to The Nature of Consciousness: Its Features and Modes