Paper: "The Bicameral Expert"

Discussion of Julian Jaynes's second hypothesis - that before the development of consciousness, humans operated under a previous mentality called the bicameral mind.
yeshayahuslate

Paper: "The Bicameral Expert"

Post by yeshayahuslate »

Hello!

I don't know if this is precisely the right forum for this, but I'm an independent (read: amateur) scholar who recently completed a paper comparing aspects of Julian Jaynes' Origin of Consciousness in the Breakdown of the Bicameral Mind and Jordan B. Peterson's Maps of Meaning: The Architecture of Belief.

Specifically, I was struck by how JJ and JBP both founded their theories on the relationship between the left and right hemispheres of the brain (to some extent), as well as by their use of ancient texts like the Iliad (JJ) and the Enuma Elish (JBP) to draw conclusions about the human mind.

One of my primary interests is expertise development, and the consilience between that literature and the ideas in JJ's and JBP's books was hard to ignore. After a lot of thinking and puzzling, I've managed to write something that I think is fairly coherent. I have no illusions about ever being accepted in the academic mainstream, so I've written the paper in a style that laypeople will be able to follow - it includes some context for the paper and background information on Jaynes and Peterson.

The paper is available here.

Thanks! Would love to hear your thoughts.

-YS
Last edited by yeshayahuslate on Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yeshayahuslate

Re: Paper: "The Bicameral Expert"

Post by yeshayahuslate »

Just thought I'd add that I completed a second paper, largely based on the first. The abstract and a link to the .pdf are below.

"Scaffolds & Sophistry"
The proliferation of information in the twentieth and twenty-first centuries, combined with the advent of electronic communications technology, has fostered a cosmopolitan and misinformation-rich environment that has left many individuals vulnerable to deception, sophistry, and ideological possession. Linguistic and developmental root causes of these vulnerabilities are examined, with a focus on the human language habit and ego development theory. Opportunities for the scalable development of misinformation-resistant human beings are outlined, and the necessity of faith in the context of education and human development is discussed.

>> Read The Paper
Last edited by yeshayahuslate on Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Site Admin

Post by Moderator »

Thank you for sharing your recent essays.

I'm looking forward to reading them, but currently the links are not working. Can you please update them?
yeshayahuslate

Post by yeshayahuslate »

Hello!

Yes, I can update them. Sorry for the downtime.

A brief explanation - Yeshayahu Slate is a pseudonym which I was planning to use for my academic work, as I have bipolar disorder and have serious doubts that any of my writings on psychological topics will be taken seriously given that fact. I've since decided to forge ahead and proceed under my real name for various reasons.

Thanks!

-Z

Return to “2.0. Hypothesis Two: The Bicameral Mind”