Aeon Flux - Episode 7, Chronophasia

Discussion of the influence of Jaynes's theory on works of fiction, film, and in popular culture.
misterrosen

Aeon Flux - Episode 7, Chronophasia

Post by misterrosen »

Until about a year ago I had never met anyone other than my stepmother (who gave me my first copy of Origins in the 80's), that had ever even heard of Jaynes, his book, or his theories.

I'd always been fascinated by the concepts, especially for their implications in religion.

My interest continues to grow, and in the space of roughly 9 months I've come across, spontaneously, TWO references to Jaynes. Both were jaw dropping.

Aeon Flux was the first.

When watching the Aeon Flux series, the compilation of animation from MTV, I had never viewed them with commentary. As I did so, I listened to the commentary on every episode. A very different and entertaining experience that I wholeheartedly recommend.

As I was watching Chronophasia one of the speakers references "Julian Jaynes and his theories about the Origin of Consciousness and the Breakdown of the Bicameral Mind" and states that they had some of that content in mind when they scripted the episode.

After being struck dumb I finally found the remote and re-watched(listened) a few times to be sure of what I'd found.

It was a pretty special moment, I must say.

The other, for addicts, was in reading Black Swan, by Taleb, (not the ballet movie), he does not refer to the book directly, but rather to a bad inference made by a reviewer who had read the book. This passing reference does not show that Taleb even read the book, but at the very least that he knows the book exists.

Very cool.

-T

Return to “The Bicameral Mind in Fiction, Film & Popular Culture”