Welcome / Introductions

General discussion regarding Jaynes's theory of consciousness and the bicameral mind. Please only post your topic here only if it does not fit into a more specific category below.
benjamindavidsteele

Re: Welcome / Introductions

Post by benjamindavidsteele »

Welcome to the forum, Kevin. Few people visit here. Almost all the activity is at the Facebook groups. But I don't like social media. I wish people would use this discussion board, instead.
Tanker62

Post by Tanker62 »

Hello JJS,

I'm a newcomer to the forum, on which I registered because I have recently stumbled upon Julian Jayne's bicameralism theory, and my attention was caught since the first lines I've read.
It echoes many of the observations my wife and I have had during our careers (she's a university professor, I'm an interpreter) about the thinking patterns, behaviours and learning processes of the people we worked with; we previously thought these were interesting, but unrelated ideas, but they could all be linked to the "heritage" of a bicameral state of mind.
Because of that, I've ordered the book (there are .pdf's of it online, but I'm already spending a lot of time in front of a computer and would prefer reading it on paper instead of on a screen), have already read a couple extracts from The Origin of Consciousness and articles about this theory from other writers, and it seems that I have entered a fascinating rabbit hole.

I hope I will be able to get a better understanding of the theory once I receive the book, and look forward to discussing it with the members of the forum.

Thank you in advance and see you on the site!
benjamindavidsteele

@Tanker62 - Not many people comment here at the forums. I usually forget about it, but it occasionally comes up in web search results. That is how I came to notice your recent comments. I hope that people start using the forums. I used to regularly visit the Facebook group but have since decided to give up social media. Please get some discussions going here. I'll join in when I can.
Chomer

Post by Chomer »

Hi. Glad to be here.
benjamindavidsteele

Welcome, Chomer!
Chomer

Post by Chomer »

benjamindavidsteele wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:18 am Welcome, Chomer!
Thanks, Benjamin!

Return to “General Discussion”