Quality of Audio Hallucinations

Discussion of Julian Jaynes's second hypothesis - the bicameral mind, specifically the subtopic of schizophrenia and schizophrenia as a vestige of the bicameral mind.
Adrian1

Quality of Audio Hallucinations

Post by Adrian1 »

To discover whether the voices take on the acoustics of the room in which they occur, a patient many be placed in a room that has a pronounced echo and asked if they perceive the echo. If yes, the next step would be to ask whether the internal voices take on the sound of the room or not. Various ways could be devised to makes sure that the answers are truthful.

I suspect that the internal voices do not carry with them the acoustics of the room. I think that this is important.

Jim Adrian
Adrian1

Re: Quality of Audio Hallucinations

Post by Adrian1 »

Isn't it possible that the audio quality of bicameral hallucinations were the same as we experience when we sing a musical tune in our heads? Isn't it possible that the only aspect that makes them what we call hallucinations is the fact that they are not done as an intentional act? Isn't it this aspect that makes one believe that they come from the environment?

To me, this is the importance of the acoustical test I have suggested above.

Has this been done?

Thank you for your help.

Jim Adrian
Site Admin

Post by Moderator »

Based on what I've read about auditory hallucinations, my guess is that they would not reflect an echo, as they are both internally generated and perceived.

For reasons that are not understood, because hallucinations are generated in the non-dominant hemisphere, they are perceived as externally generated or as "inserted thoughts." Our sense of self seems to be associated with our language dominant hemisphere.
jamesadrian

Post by jamesadrian »

Moderator,

Thank you for this reply.

This might be of interest to care takers. Perhaps experiments could be done.

Jim Adrian

Return to “2.5. Hypothesis Two: The Bicameral Mind | Subtopic: Schizophrenia”