Suggestions for Grad School

Information for students interested in studying Julian Jaynes's theory, including grad school programs, internships, research topics, networking, etc.
andrewblase

Suggestions for Grad School

Post by andrewblase »

I have been interested in Jaynes' ideas for years. I have a masters degree and teach at a community college. I am looking for a online PhD program that would be a good one for studying consciousness and evolutionary psychology ala Jaynes. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks
Site Admin

Re: Suggestions for Grad School

Post by Moderator »

This question was recently added to the FAQ page, I am reposting it here:

Are there any doctoral graduate programs in psychology, philosophy, anthropology, etc. where I can study Jaynes's theory?

I don't know of any professors at this time that have both a strong interest in Jaynes's theory and are currently associated with a university program accepting Ph.D. students, however there are a still a few options worth considering.

The first is to find a professor in a mainstream graduate program that is researching a related topic, even if they are not directly interested in (or familiar with) Jaynes's theory. Once you are in the program, hopefully they will be open-minded to you doing a dissertation on some aspect of Jaynes's theory. In some cases you may have to postpone research directly related to Jaynes's theory until after graduation, but you should be able to do something in a related area.

The second option is to pursue your degree from a smaller private university. They tend to be less rigid and more open to controversial theories and topics such as consciousness studies.

Private universities with related programs include John F. Kennedy University, the Institute of Transpersonal Psychology, Saybrook University, and the California Institute of Integral Studies. If you know of other programs, please let us know.

Both options have pros and cons. The important thing is to map out your career goals and make sure that your choice of program will lead to fulfilling career options after graduation.
Last edited by Moderator on Tue May 13, 2014 3:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
elv

Post by elv »

I have been pursuing a graduate degree in Health Arts and Sciences at Goddard College in Vermont. It is a distance learning program and they have a sister school in Washington.

Through this program I have been encouraged in my work, which incorporates the Bicameral mind theory. Currently they offer only bachelor and master programs but from what I understand they are working on developing a doctorate program.
Site Admin

Post by Moderator »

Reposting a previous reply from 22 Jul 2011:

While I don't know of any professors at this time that have both a strong interest in Jaynes's theory and are currently associated with a university program accepting Ph.D. students, there are still some options worth exploring.

The first is to find a professor in a mainstream graduate program that is researching a related topic, even if they are not directly interested in (or familiar with) Jaynes's theory. Once you are in the program, hopefully they will be open-minded to you doing a dissertation on some aspect of Jaynes's theory. In some cases you may have to postpone research directly related to Jaynes's theory until after graduation, but you should be able to do something in a related area.

The second option is to pursue your degree from a smaller private university. They tend to be less rigid and more open to controversial theories and topics such as consciousness studies. Private universities with related programs include the Philosophy-Neurosciences-Psychology interdisciplinary program at Washington University in St. Louis (this would be my first choice!), John F. Kennedy University, the Institute of Transpersonal Psychology, Saybrook University, and the California Institute of Integral Studies. If you know of other programs, please let us know.

Both options have pros and cons. The important thing is to map out your career goals and make sure that your choice of program will lead to fulfilling career options after graduation.

Return to “Information for Students”