Pottery design patterns and the rise of individuality

Discussion of Julian Jaynes's third hypothesis - dating the development of consciousness to roughly 1500-1200 BCD in Egypt, Greece, and Mesopotamia (the transition occurred at different times in different places around the world). Includes analysis of ancient texts (such as the Iliad, the Odyssey, and the Bible), linguistics, and archeological evidence from ancient civilizations as it pertains to the transition from the bicameral mind to consciousness.
markdzima

Pottery design patterns and the rise of individuality

Post by markdzima »

In the 1970's, I was briefly an Ancient Civilizations major at the University of California, Riverside. That was a major I had custom-built for myself, with University permission, and it was before I had ever heard of The Origin of Consciousness In The Breakdown of the Bicameral Mind.

One reason I quickly dropped that Ancient Civilizations major was a course I took on Palestinian archaeology. I had previously spent some time in Israel and visited some archaeological sites there. I found the sites very interesting to walk through, but I found the university course to be much less interesting because it focused so much on examining very simplistic designs painted on pottery shards. There was only so much examination of pottery shards I could stand to do.

One of the things that I remember about the course was the teaching that towns each had their own distinctive painted pottery patterns. A particular pattern meant that the pot came from a specific place and time. This seemed like a dubious idea to me at the time. Could it really have been that no potter, in the course of his life, had expressed his individuality by painting a different design on at least a few of the pots he made? I found that hard to imagine.

Thinking back on this only yesterday, I wondered: could the lack of individuality shown by those potters (if the claim of the course was true) be attributed to bicameralism? What do you think? Could it be that we might be able to date the arrival of self-consciousness by looking at when creative individuality first appeared in the painting of designs on pots?
My substack newsletter: markima.substack.com

Return to “3.0. Hypothesis Three: Dating the Development of Consciousness”