Brian McVeigh – The Emergence of Psychotherapies in Modern Japan: A Jaynesian Interpretation

Section for discussing lectures related to Julian Jaynes's theory of the origin of consciousness and a previous bicameral mentality.
Site Admin

Brian McVeigh – The Emergence of Psychotherapies in Modern Japan: A Jaynesian Interpretation

Post by Moderator »

The Emergence of Psychotherapies in Modern Japan: A Jaynesian Interpretation
Brian J. McVeigh, Invited address at The Julian Jaynes Society Conference on Consciousness and Bicameral Studies, Charleston, WV, June 2013.

Abstract: I examine the origins of psychotherapies in Japan by applying the theories developed by Julian Jaynes. I show how, as in other industrializing societies, Psychology developed in response to modernity as a scholarly attempt to explore the mental space within the individual. Though something like this imaginary space existed in pre-modern times, it was not until the nineteenth century that it was considered amenable to experimental investigation. Significantly, Psychology’s ascent to legitimacy followed a very similar trajectory in Japan, illustrating how despite local cultural inflections, psyche has responded to modernity in a familiar manner.

To delineate these similarities I first introduce the “socio-externalization/psycho-internalization dynamic” by examining several key aspects of interiorization that were enhanced by nineteenth-century modernization. Second, I treat a key aspect of Jaynesian psychology that interlinks the different parts of this essay: how we use metaphors to conceptualize the mind. Third, I historically contextualize the modernization of Japan’s psychotherapeutic tradition. Fourth, I examine how Japan’s modernizing view of the psyche dealt with hypnosis, a bicameral vestige. Fifth, I show how Japanese researchers attempted to disentangle the study of mind from mysticism and pseudosciences. Finally, I conclude with some observations about how alterations in psyche led to academic Psychology.

Please sign up or login to watch the full version in the JJS Member Area.

Return to “Lecture Discussion”