Julian Jaynes found important evidence for dating the development of consciousness by contrasting the lack of introspection and mental subjectivity in the Iliad versus the clear descriptions of these that are found in the Odyssey. Below is a small sample of research relevant to this aspect of Jaynes’s theory.
- Greek Origins of Belief Johnson, David Martel, American Philosophical Inquiry, October 1987, 24, 4.
- The Muses and Creative Inspiration: Homer to Milton McHugh, Kathleen Potthoff, UNF Theses and Dissertations, 1993, Paper 85.
- Plato’s Vowels: How the Alphabet Influenced the Evolution of Consciousness Poletti, Frank, World Futures: The Journal of General Evolution, 2002, 58, 1.
- Whose Anticipations? Riegler, Alexander, Learning Notes in Computer Science, 2004, 2684, 3-12.
- Metaphors Concerning Speech in Homer Wiseman, Rob, in Robert T. Craig and Heidi L. Muller (eds.), Theorizing Communication: Readings Across Traditions, 2007, 7–18.